Posted: Monday, September 12th 2011 at 6:04pm
Child playing with matches started large Barrow Co. fire
HOSCHTON - Authorities said the major fire in Barrow County that displaced a family of 10 last week was started by a juvenile playing with matches.
Scott Dakin with Barrow County Emergency Services said the child eventually set a bed skirt on fire while the mother was cooking dinner.
None of the residents were injured in Thursday's fire on Highway 124, but a firefighter did receive some minor injuries and was treated and released.
Dakin said extinguishing the blaze was made more difficult because the house was located off the roadway which required firefighters to lay 2,400 feet of fire hose.
The American Red Cross responded to assist the family.
© Copyright 2013 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.